Mold remediation and what to expect.
Mold can grow on carpet and spread to walls.
California has the best weather! It is always sunny and you can go to the beach any time of the year. Yet, on occasion we will get heavy rain.Most of us don’t know what to do when it rains here. We are not used to driving in the rain, walking in the rain, and we don’t know that rain can cause water damage. For example, we went to a house that was concerned about a leak coming from the ceiling. The leak was in a closet and they didn’t realize how wet the carpet was. They noticed how bad it smelled and thought the carpet needed cleaning. When we arrived we noticed some mold on the wall. We told the homeowners that the mold would need to be removed and the carpet would have to be replaced as well. We had to explain the process because the home owners never had any kind of water damage before. To repair the problem we would have to isolate the contaminated area first, remove all the contents in the closet, use dehumidifiers to suppress the dust, remove the carpet and drywall affected, and finally get the area tested. The home owners decided to get a second opinion from a different company. They called us back and had us start on the mold remediation the following day. They thanked us for being patient and understanding. Who knew that rain could cause mold? We did!
Prevent Mold Growth in your El Monte Home
Get Ahead of the Game
- If deciding to paint your home, add mold inhibitors to your paint.
- When cleaning areas inside your home that see the most moisture such as your kitchen and bathrooms, always clean with a mold-killing product.
- Carpet often helps trap moisture underneath and can be the perfect environment for mold growth if in an area that is always moist, such as a basement or sunroom.
- The area surrounding your home should always be sloping away from the house to prevent any pooling or water flow underneath your house.
- Make sure drip pans underneath appliances such as an air conditioning unit, dishwasher or refrigerator are not overflowing or spilling onto the floor.
- Check your indoor plants to see if water is gathering and possibly leaking onto the floor as well.
- A visual inspection under your sinks and toilets can also help to identify if there is a broken seal or a pipe that may be leaking.
- Whenever there is a spill, water leak, overflowing sink or tub be sure to always clean it up immediately.
- Always remove or replace any carpet that is not able to properly dry, this will help prevent any mold growth that may occur due to saturation.
- Any piping that remains cold often creates condensation, this can easily be fixed by insulating those pipes.
- Have you noticed moisture or water seeping through your windows after a heavy rain? If so it may be time to inspect those windows and make sure there are no gaps and that a weather proof sealant or strip is properly installed.
Turn Up the Air Flow and Increase the Ventilation
- Whenever it’s nice out, be sure to open those windows and doors to easily help ventilate and move air around your home.
- Same thing goes for when you are showering, cooking, running the dishwasher or let’s say cleaning your laundry; make sure you have those windows open to bring air flow into those rooms. An even better idea is to use an exhaust fan while you are cleaning in your kitchen or cleaning up in your bathroom.
Understanding Mold in El Monte
SERVPRO® of El Monte handles water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. Mold is more likely to spread when moisture has been affecting an environment for a long period of time. If your property has sustained a recent water damage, it is vital to have water removed and the structure dried promptly.
If you have experienced an ongoing moisture problem in the building, it is important to be alert to the following factors:
- The presence of visible mold.
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might indicate previous mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Help Has Arrived
The SERVPRO of El Monte professional will arrive on-site alert, looking for any visible signs of mold. In the event mold is found, a technician will recommend you leave the affected area while the mold cleanup and associated containment process is being safely completed. You will also be asked to approve and sign a work authorization form prior to any mold cleanup or related work being performed.