Recent General Posts
Convention in Sacramento!
We just had a great week in Sacramento. SERVPRO had its annual convention and we were there to attend all the workshops. It was a week of endless information. Just when we thought we knew it all! We are bringing back all the helpful information that was given to us about creating a great team to managing our website. The best part of convention was meeting all the franchise owners across the country. We made new friends and saw old friends throughout the week. We can't wait for next year's convention! It will be held in Boston! Isn't that exciting. We are packing our bags already... just kidding. We wouldn't know what to pack, the weather in the east coast requires hats and scarfs. We'll need to do some shopping first.
Everyday is a new day
There's no way we can treat every job the same. Every experience we have is unique to the person and house we visit. We are lucky to have reliable technicians and equipment to take on all sorts of jobs because everyday brings in something new. Sometimes we have local jobs, and other days we are traveling across town. We load up our trucks with equipment and cleaning materials, and when we don't have enough of one thing we find local vendors to help us out. We will even rent trucks that are double the size of our trucks to help move equipment from job to job. There are times when we only need a limited amount of materials and there are times when we need multiples of every thing we carry in our warehouse. Sometimes our jobs last 3 days and sometimes they can last up to 3 months. We never know who's calling, and we don't know what kind of job is waiting for us. That's the great thing about SERVPRO of El Monte, every day feels like a new day. We see every job with fresh eyes.
New Crew at SERVPRO of El Monte
We have been through some major changes here at SERVPRO of El Monte! We are happy to welcome our new production manager and our new marketing manager. We are driven by production and success out on the field, and because of that we wanted to add two more people to help. Our marketing manager is determined to build new relationships with the community of El Monte. We want our name to be the first thing people say whenever there's water or fire damage. Our marketing manager will be responsible for all of our social media content, and that's exciting because we are so new to the world of social media. We hope you'll keep following us on this great journey. We are also excited about our new production manager, he will help the team stay on track with all the steps required to execute a job. Production and marketing are two important roles in working as a team. Our team has grown just a bit bigger and we couldn't be happier!
Lead in the Home
The United States Environmental Protection Agency says that if your home was built before 1978, there is a good chance it has lead-based paint. In 1978, the federal government banned consumer uses of lead-containing paint, but some states banned it even earlier. Lead from paint, including lead-contaminated dust, is one of the most common causes of lead poisoning.
Below are some helpful facts to keep you knowledgeable about paint in your home.
- Lead paint is still present in millions of homes, sometimes under layers of newer paint. If the paint is in good shape, the lead paint is usually not a problem. Deteriorating lead-based paint (peeling, chipping, chalking, cracking, damaged, or damp) is a hazard and needs immediate attention.
- It may also be a hazard when found on surfaces that children can chew or that get a lot of wear-and-tear, such as:
- Windows and window sills;
- Doors and door frames; and
- Stairs, railings, banisters, and porches.
- Be sure to keep all paint in excellent shape and clean up dust frequently.
- Lead in household dust results from indoor sources such as deteriorating lead-based paint.
- Lead dust can also be tracked into the home from soil outside that is contaminated by deteriorated exterior lead-based paint and other lead sources, such as industrial pollution and past use of leaded gasoline.
- Renovation, repair or painting activities can create toxic lead dust when painted surfaces are disturbed or demolished
- Pipes and solder - Lead is used in some water service lines and household plumbing materials. Lead can leach, or enter the water, as water flows through the plumbing. Lead pipes and lead solder were commonly used until 1986.
Essential Homeowner Tips
Examining Roof Shingles
Inspect your roofing to see if any shingles were damaged or lost during the winter. A leak in your roof can often times go unnoticed before the water coming through has severely damaged your home's structure and possibly your belongings. A wet spot on the ceiling or dripping water from above sometimes indicates that there might be a leak in your roof. One way to deal with this situation is a service we provide called Roof Tarping and can temporarily be installed over the damaged area of the roof to prevent any further damage to your home while major repairs are being planned and executed.
Checking your Gutters
While you're up there, it is a great idea to inspect your gutters. Out of sight and out of mind, is not always a good thing especially when it comes to gutters. Be sure to inspect all your gutters and drainage systems to make sure they are properly directing water away from your home. This happens to be one of the most common causes for water damage around the home, mainly because people never inspect their home’s drainage systems. Preventative measures can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in home repairs. It is important to recognize a drainage problem and address it as soon as possible because it can lead water into the basement or crawl space.
SERVPRO of El Monte
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- We have advanced inspection and extraction equipment
Have Questions? Call Us Today – We’re Here To Help - (626) 618-6215
Taking Care of Your El Monte Home
Using Compacted Soil Around Your Home
Lower areas in your yard or next to your home’s foundation should be filled with compacted soil. During the rainy seasons, water can cause yard flooding, which in turn can lead to foundation flooding and damage. Signs to look for such as pooling water or run off going into your crawl spaces are often signs your yard needs some additional attention to help prevent from flooding and damage to your property.
Inspecting the Concrete
Inspect the concrete slabs around your home for signs of movement or cracks. Every exterior slab, except for pool decks, should drain away from your home’s foundation. It is a good idea to fill any cracks with a concrete crack filler or silicone caulk. Also when the weather permits, like most days here in Southern California, power washing and then sealing your concrete is a great way to prevent any damage due to water.
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (626) 618-6215
Whether your El Monte home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your El Monte commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
What is Asbestos?
What is Asbestos?
The United States Environmental Protection Agency states that Asbestos is a mineral that is mined from the earth. It has natural properties that make it an excellent and inexpensive fire retardant. As such, it was added to many building products to make them perform better with peak use between the 1940s through the 1970s. Common building materials that contain asbestos include but are not limited to:
- Vermiculite insulation
- 9”x9” floor tiles
- Acoustic ceiling tiles
- White tape on heating ducts
- Insulation on boiler pipes and boilers
- Old asbestos cement siding
- Popcorn ceiling texture
- Glues used under flooring
Why is Asbestos Bad?
Asbestos is bad for human health when the tiny abrasive fibers are inhaled into the lungs where they can damage the lung tissue. This seems to be exacerbated by cigarette smoking and the resulting diseases are mesothelioma and lung cancer.
In general, if you are buying a house older than 1980, you can assume it probably contains at least some asbestos.
SERVPRO of El Monte can board-up your home or business for most any cause, like the ones listed below. Board-ups will help secure and protect your property. Board-ups also will also assist in defending your property from more damage due to severe weather. Did you know, most insurance policies require that the Property Owners and Renters to protect their property against secondary damage? This is damage that occurs because of a person not taking proper actions after the first damage occurs to secure the property. If Owners or Renters are found to be negligent, the secondary damage might not be covered by insurance.
Board-Up Services may be necessary after...
- Smoke & Fire Damage
- Water Damage
- Flood Damage
- Extreme Weather Damage
- Natural Disasters
- Auto Accidents
Having your property damaged in any circumstance can be a very stressful experience. SERVPRO of El Monte specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (626)618-6215
IICRC Certified Firm
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of El Monte is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of El Monte
SERVPRO of El Monte specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Earthquake Preparedness – Tips for El Monte Homeowners
Making your Home earthquake ready can greatly reduce the risk of further damages caused by an earthquake such as fire and water damage. These preventative measures can mean saving huge amounts of money in repairs but more importantly the safety and protection of family, personal belongings and property.
Since most water and gas lines are rigid, they can be ripped from their connection points during an earthquake. The outcome could not only be serious damage to your property but also injury to you and others.
A common method to prevent broken water and gas lines is to have flexible connection pipes installed between appliances and their supply lines. The same technique can be used for other appliances, such as a water heater, clothes dryer, stove or gas furnace. Typically, a licensed contractor can perform this service without much difficulty.
Benefits of Using This Mitigation Strategy
- Helps to prevent tearing of water and gas lines from their connections
- Helps to prevent serious damage to a structure
- Helps to prevent explosions or fires
- Helps to prevent personal injuries
Keep these points in mind when you have flexible connections installed:
- It is important to know where your gas, power, and water line shut offs are located and how to turn them off. A gas leak could create an explosion which could cause more damage than the earthquake itself.
- Modifications to the plumbing and gas lines in your property must be done by a licensed contractor, who will ensure that the work is done properly and in compliance with all applicable codes. This is key for your safety.
- A flexible connection will help protect against a small amount of movement but is not designed to function when the appliance it is connected to moves extensively or falls. Consider anchoring the appliance to the floor or wall.
When a disaster strikes SERVPRO of El Monte has the training, experience, and equipment to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Its the Law
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in Pre-1978 homes, child care facility and schools be certified by the EPA. These firms also must use certified renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training Providers to follow lead-safe work practices. SERVPRO of El Monte abides by these best practices in order to fullfill our customers needs and to keep our associates safe. We will gladly source out any lead or abestos situations and proceed as necessary when faced with these issues. It is our goal and mission to take care of our customers in a safe and timely manner. With this being said, you can put your complete trust that SERVPRO of El Monte will meet your expectations whether it be water damage, fire damage, mold remediation, and many other services that require special attention.